NATIONAL FLOOD INSURANCE PROGRAM

Click here to visit the Federal Emergency Management Agency website.

NFIP

This community participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The NFIP makes federally backed flood insurance available for all buildings, whether they are in a floodplain or not. Flood insurance covers direct losses caused by surface flooding, including a river flowing over its banks, a lake or ocean, and local drainage problems.

The NFIP insures buildings, including mobile homes, with two types of coverage: structural and contents. Structural coverage is for the wall, floors, insulation, furnace, and other items permanently attached to the structure. Contents coverage may be purchased separately provided the contents are in an insurable building.

Copies of the FIRM are available for review in the Wood River Public Library or at City Hall. Many lenders and insurance agents also have copies. It is the agency’s or lender’s responsibility to check the FIRM to determine if the building is in an SFHA, although the City of Wood River does provide assistance.

Flood Insurance is Required by Law

You must have flood insurance to get secured financing to buy, build or improve structures in Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHAs). Lending institutions that are federally regulated or insured must determine if the building is in an SFHA and requires flood insurance.

I Have Questions About Flood Insurance. Who Do I Call?

Call your local, licensed casualty or property insurance agent or call the National Flood Insurance Hotline at 1-800-427-4661 or call NFIP at 1-888-FLOOD29 or see National Flood Insurance

I Want to Receive a FloodPlain Map from FEMA. Can I Get it Online?

You can see some floodplain data in the FEMA Map Service Center. You can call and order all floodplain maps in the U.S. by calling 1-800-358-9616. Additional information: FAQs. Need additional help? Call 1-877-FEMA MAP

FLOOD ZONE DETERMINATION COMPANIES

Please visit this link www.fema.gov/flood-zone-determination-companies for information on flood zone determination.

FEMA/City of Wood River strongly encourages potential users of these services to carefully review not only the end product(s) that the above company promises but also the process that is used by the company providing the service to determine the flood zone location (and possibly other related information).

This should include, but not necessarily be limited to, determining the degree of accuracy of the flood zone determination being provided, the nature and content of any messages being sent to the mortgagor, and the options being provided to the mortgagor.

Related Pages

THE CITY OF WOOD RIVER
111 NORTH WOOD RIVER AVE.
WOOD RIVER ILLINOIS, 62095
THE CITY OF WOOD RIVER
111 NORTH WOOD RIVER AVE.
WOOD RIVER ILLINOIS, 62095
CITY HALL
MONDAY-FRIDAY
8:00 AM-5:00 PM
CLOSED MAJOR HOLIDAYS
CITY HALL: (618) 251-3100